How to Make the Sew On the Go Zippered Bag
Posted on January 25 2024
The Sew on the Go Zippered Bag Kit has all of the materials you need to make a fun and functional bag for all of your hand sewing supplies. With 2 pockets for notions and a felt tab to hold your needles and pins, you will be ready to stitch on a trip at a moments notice.
You will need:
• Sew on the Go Zippered Bag Kit
• Basic sewing supplies
• A zipper foot for your sewing machine is helpful.
Seam allowances are noted in the instructions.
What to do:
1. First, make the pocket. Fold the orange pocket fabric in half with right sides together and the 9 ½” sides matching. Sew along the 9 ½” side with ¼” seam.
2. Turn the pocket right side out. Press the pocket flat with the sewn along the bottom. Position the pocket on one of the lining pieces with the top long edge of the pocket 2 ¼” away from the top edge of the lining. Match the 2 open sides of the pocket with the edges of the lining. Sew the pocket along the 2 short sides and the bottom with ⅛” topstitch. Sew a line vertically through the center of the pocket to divide into 2 pockets. You can make the pockets the same size or 2 different sizes.
3. Next, attach the felt for pins and needles. Position the felt on the remaining lining piece 2” from the top of the lining and 3 ½” from the sides. Sew along the top of the felt 1/4” from the edge.
3. Now, add the zipper. Position the zipper, facing up, along the top edge of the lining with felt piece. Center the zipper along the top edge. The ends of the zipper will hang over the sides of the lining.
4. Sew the zipper to the lining with ⅛” seam.
5. Position one of the exterior pieces, right side down, on top of the lining/zipper piece, matching the edges. Sew the top edge with ¼” seam. Move the zipper tab and open the zipper as needed to keep it out of the way.
6. Press the exterior piece and the lining away from the zipper.
7. Place the lining with pocket piece right side up. Place the zipper section on top of the lining with pocket with the exterior piece facing up and the unsewn zipper edge matching the top edge of the lining with pocket. Sew the zipper to the lining with ⅛” seam.
8. Place the remaining exterior piece on top matching the top edge with the edge of the zipper. Sew the top edge with ¼” seam. Move the zipper tab and open the zipper as needed to keep it out of the way.
9. Press the exterior piece and the lining away from the zipper.
10. Now, match the lining pieces, right sides together. Match the exterior pieces, right sides together. Press the zipper seam allowances towards the exterior pieces and move the length of the zipper inside the lining pieces. Starting ½” down from the zipper seam, sew the 2 lining pieces together along the 3 open sides. Leave about 3” open on the bottom of the lining, and stop ½” from the zipper seam on the other side of the lining. You do not want to sew on the zipper since you may break a needle on the metal.
11. Open the zipper about ¾ of the way. Sew the 2 exterior pieces together along the 3 open sides. Start at the zipper seam and sew around the 3 sides, ending at the zipper seam on the other side.
12. On all 4 corners, draw a 1” square. Cut out the squares.
13. Open each square and match the side seam with the bottom seam, finger pressing the seam allowances open. Sew across each corner with ½ seam.
14. Turn the bag right side out through the opening in the bottom of the lining.
15. Sew the opening closed by hand or with a top stitch.
16. Push the lining into the bag. Press the bag, making sure the fabric is pressed away from the zipper.
17. Pack your sewing supplies and sew on the go!